For this DIY you can choose any shape you like and you can even make it for any other space in your house.
Why this DIY
Now that my daughter has turned 3 I wanted to make a wall lamp that she could turn on and off herself and I thought why not make something she can choose the light color herself. I mean how fun is that for a kid?! And she has ended up using it as her nighttime lamp.
And it only cost me approximately €25 to make 🙌🏼
I wantend a cohesive look for my daughter's room so I chose to stick with the jungle theme and I went with the banana leaves on the wallpaper.
What you need
- 6 mm thick MDF
- LED strip (I bought a multicolored and dimmable one)
- jig saw
- wood glue
- double sided tape (heavy duty)
- sand block or paper with a fine grid
- draw the desired shape on MDF
- cut out the shape using a jig saw
- sand down the edges
- use wood or MDF (scraps) of approximately 4 to 6 cm thick and glue it to the back side with at least a few centimeters away from the edges. It doesn’t have to be pretty ;)
- prime, sand in between and paint it the desired color. I painted it the same color as the wall since I wanted the coloured led lights make the leaves stand out.
- attach the LED strip on the back. I wanted the wire to be hidden under the curtain as if the leaves were growing out of the curtains.
- use double sided tape to mount it on the wall
images numbered with corresponding steps:
Visit my instagram page for the tutorial video and more details
I hope I have inspired you to build one and if you do please do tag me... I would love to see it!