I found this mini kitchen on the Dutch marketplace and right away I knew I wanted to turn it into a romantic kitchen with a warm French vibe
What you need
- IKEA Duktig mini kitchen
- sanding material
- painters tape
- 2 paint colors - I chose a beautiful green and a crisp white, both with a chalky matt finish
- paint roller and paint brush
- handles - I chose a traditional shape with white porcelain, complimenting the gorgeous green
- clear varnish (I used a varnish spray with a matt finish)
- accessories and utensils
- disassemble the pieces
- light sanding and priming - this step depends on the kind of paint you use. For some parts I used a paint that didn't require sanding or priming
- decide on what parts you want to paint using painters tape
- paint and sand in between.
- reassemble all the pieces
- attach the handles
- finish off with a clear varnish
- style it with utensils and accessories
A few things to consider
- when choosing colors: if you want a cohesive look don't go for colors that create too much contrast and stick to no more than 2 paint colors - I chose white and green, and left the wooden countertop untouched for a touch of warmth.
- when choosing utensils and accessories: choose neutral and non-contrasting colors. I picked silver, white and light wood. Go wild with different materials and textures: I choose mainly untreated wood and metals with soft and textured surfaces, and different fabrics like a small linnen bag and a cloth with a subtle white and green print with the addition of brown that compliments the wooden surface of the kitchen. With my 'greenery' I chose a greyish green to prevent clashing with the green paint color.
Don't forget to have fun! I really enjoyed going thrifting and shopping for utensils in my favorite stores, and seeing my vision come to life.
One last advice: don't bother tidying up your child's kitchen, it's no use. Believe me, I've tried! :) Enjoy the first few minutes after you've finished styling. Take as many as possible pictures! ;)
I hope I have inspired you to try this makeover, and if I have please do tag me, I would love to see it!